We offer a digital solution to blood pressure management. Blood pressure is an extremely valuable parameter as high blood pressure is the main cause of cardiovascular disease and most people have no symptoms, hence it is known as the “Silent Killer”. We address B2B customers that can receive tangible clinical and economic benefits from our outcomes. This includes care providers, healthcare payers and employers, with the end user of our product being the patient (B2B2C model). Our service is extremely useful for patients with high blood pressure (Hypertension) or any other specific condition in which blood pressure control is crucial, such as Congestive Heart Failure (to avoid heart fatigue), pregnancy (to avoid pre-eclampsia) and post-pregnancy (to avoid stable hypertension after delivery).
Financing to date is $2.4 million, which we have invested in 3+ years of R&D successfully building a groundbreaking product in Europe, which has already generated proven outcomes. The funding was mainly from co-founders, a group of twelve qualified European angels, and one institutional investor (eSense). This allowed us to set-up an internal algorithm development team, design and implement two algorithms, achieve proven clinical outcomes on real users and gain international scientific recognition (posters peer reviewed and presented at several major scientific congresses like the last American College of Cardiology, American Society of Hypertension, European Society of Hypertension and International Society of hypertension). In this round we are raising $3M. We have already closed $450K in December, 2016, 70k of which was invested by the CEO & co-founder.
- Proven outcomes: mean sys BP reduction of 5mmHg (up to 20) and 70% adherence presented at major congresses, including the American College of Cardiology, American Society of Hypertension and European Society of Hypertension.
- 2 proprietary algorithms (over 3years R&D to develop/implement), one providing a fully automated lifestyle recommendations program for blood pressure control and the other providing real time interpretation of blood pressure trends and variability. The latter has also received a CE mark as a medical device in Italy.
- First to convert all major scientific guidelines on blood pressure management into actionable algorithms.
- Easy to expand: the lifestyle program is a cardiovascular program that can be easily adapted to all main concomitant conditions.
- Top notch management team that is a unique mix with decades of experience in health, startups and clinical innovation, with previous exits.
- 90% marginality and easy scalability thanks to the full automation of the service.
About Management Team
- Mr. Rocco, CEO, co-founder. Former McKinsey, former start-up co-founder (successful exit)
- Mr. Cianflone, M.D., Cardiologist, CMO, co-founder. Director of the Cardiovascular Rehabilitation unit at a major Italian University
- Mr. Mason, VP BusDev. A digital health Pioneer (since 1996) with CTO background. Mentor at Stanford Biodesign Course
- Mr. Petronelli, CTO. 20+ years experience in product development and security
About Our Product
The Company is a cloud-based service for blood pressure management that allows for remote monitoring, providing physicians and patients with unprecedented data analysis and personalized lifestyle recommendations (daily diet, activity and BP measurement scheduling). It is fully automated thanks to two proprietary algorithms, one providing real time interpretation of blood pressure trends and variability and the other providing a fully automated lifestyle program consisting of daily diet, physical activity and blood pressure measurement recommendations. Our first results in Europe have been striking: 70% adherence with a mean BP reduction (sys) of 5mmHg (up to 20), peer reviewed and presented to major international congresses (ACC, ASH, ESH, ISH).
Blood pressure control is a need that affects an enormous market. Hypertension alone affects about one in three adults worldwide. Considering only hypertension, that leaves a marketof over 1bln people worldwide (over 250 mln in China). Excluding secondary HTN and including only tech-savvy people willing to adopt healthy lifestyle (clinical studies benchmark) leaves over 180 mln people (at least 18 mln in China and 14 mln in the US alone). Hypertension is known as a “Silent Killer” because it is the number one cause of cardiovascular disease but is often asymptomatic, so many patients do not feel sick. Aside from Hypertension, we also address all other conditions in which BP control is critical, including Congestive Heart Failure and Pregnancy (to avoid pre-eclampsia).
Current valuation is $9M (Pre-money).
So far in the BP arena, no one offers our entire streamline of features (remote monitoring and lifestyle intervention, fully automate and focused on blood pressure). Digital therapies (e.g. Omada) aren't focused on BP or fully automated. General wellness programs (e.g. WellTok) don't provide data analysis and aren't focused on BP. Medication reminders (e.g. Medisafe) or BP device companies (e.g. Omron) have BP focus but don't provide data analysis or lifestyle intervention. BP apps are only journals with no data analysis/lifestyle intervention.
There is great potential for complementarity of our service with other companies and services, including other digital health companies focused on related chronic disease management (eg. diabetes), device makers, payers, healthcare providers and pharmaceutical companies. Thanks to this feature, we see a strong possibility for commercial partnerships with these companies for a few years that could eventually lead to an acquisition (around the year 2020), which would provide a ROI of at least 5x.
Disclosure: Investing in startups carries a high degree of risk. In general, financial and operating risks confronting both early and developmental-stage companies, as well as more mature expansion-stage companies are significant. Many emerging growth companies go out of businesses every year. It is difficult to know how companies will grow, if at all, or what changes may occur in the market. A loss of an investors entire investment is possible and no profit may be realized. Investors are responsible for conducting their own due diligence.
* It should not be assumed that recommendations made in the future will be profitable or will equal the performance of securities in this list