The Company is a transformational Chinese maternity platform that provides devices to track fetus and baby health and wellness, with robust content on nutrition, fitness, baby and maternal health – that provides Chinese moms with highly personalized advice to guide them through pregnancy. The platform also provides opportunities for global brands to connect with and educate new Chinese parents on products and services that are relevant to their new life stage. Launched late last year, the Company has approximately 150,000 registered users and the device is ramping up distribution on all major online retail channels.
The Company was incubated in the prestigious corporate incubator, BCG Digital Ventures and its two major investors are the Boston Consulting Group, the world’s leading management consulting firm and one of the world’s leading insurance companies. The Company is seeking up to $10 million to continue to grow the user base of the APP, add features and functionality to the platform, add additional devices to its product portfolio to extend the parent relationship lifecycle through the first 3 years of the baby’s life, and to expand distribution of the device.
- Competitive highlight: No platform on the market combines fetal connectivity with rich personalized content, in a mobile-optimized user experience as The Company has.
- Reputable Investors: 2 main investors are BCG and one of the world’s leading insurance companies. They have agreed to work closely with any investors to ensure success of company.
- Traction: With little advertising, the platform has brought on ~150k users and has monthly, weekly and daily user retention metrics that are far superior to most Chinese APPS.
- Partnerships: ~10 key partnerships with large multi-national companies to be sponsors on the platform. Partners range from world’s leading formula company, pharmaceutical company, toy company and electronics company.
About Management Team
Mr. Steve (CEO): Five-time start-up entrepreneur, has raised capital of over $70 million and generated returns of over $150MM for former investors. Former investor and executive at BCG Digital Ventures and Intellectual Ventures.
Mr. Louis (GM The Company China): Leads day-to-day business and manages team of ~30 business, product, sales, and engineering staff. Former product and design roles with Microsoft and Activision .
About Our Product
The APP is the first daily digital platform for pregnancy with contextual content for each day of pregnancy, tied to the gestational age of the baby and its developmental needs. The device is a proprietary device developed in conjunction with scientists from University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) and is the first in-home fetal listening device that can safely let parents listen to the fetus’ heartbeat. Unlike Doppler or in-home ultra-sound devices that the CFDA has deemed dangerous, the Kaishi device uses 100% safe, acoustic technology.
China’s pregnancy market is ~20 million new births (that is the same number as the US, Canada, Europe and Japan times 2!) with a per capita spend on each unborn baby that is higher than anywhere else in the world. Moreover, the 4 Chinese legacy online competitors all have $1 billion or higher valuations but are copies of old western platforms without device connectivity, personalization, or mobile optimized user experiences.
Current round valuation would have been $10-15MM pre-money, depending upon timing and deal configuration.
APP: Babytree ($3 bn valuation), Lamabang, Meiyou, Dayima
Available on further discussion with registered investors.
Disclosure: Investing in startups carries a high degree of risk. In general, financial and operating risks confronting both early and developmental-stage companies, as well as more mature expansion-stage companies are significant. Many emerging growth companies go out of businesses every year. It is difficult to know how companies will grow, if at all, or what changes may occur in the market. A loss of an investors entire investment is possible and no profit may be realized. Investors are responsible for conducting their own due diligence.
* It should not be assumed that recommendations made in the future will be profitable or will equal the performance of securities in this list